Our Commitment to LAC/PLAC students
Watling Academy aims to promote high aspirations for children who are placed in care, or are previously looked after, to ensure all students are given the opportunity to succeed and reach their full potential. We believe that every student can achieve and strive for excellence.
At Watling Academy, our Designated Teacher for Looked After Children (LAC) and Previously Looked After Children (PLAC) works alongside our school staff to encourage students to experience academic achievements and make good progress in relation to their professional, social and emotional development.
We endeavour to offer stability, safety, individual care and attention and provide positive experiences, encouraging pupils to take part in all aspects of school life and feel a part of the Academy community.
Through effective communication with carers, professionals and staff, we work to promote inclusion and remove barriers so that all our students have a robust, enjoyable and valuable school experience.
- To provide a safe and secure environment where Care, Education and Opportunity is central to the support we put in place to allow looked after and previously looked after students to be successful.
- For all adults to understand the specific needs of looked after and previously looked after students
- To narrow the gap between the attainment of looked after and previously looked after students and their peers, ensuring progress is made.
- To use the allocated Pupil Premium Plus (PP+) to ensure effective impact
- For all adults to provide discreet, sensitive, student-led support, with one key adult identified who will form a strong relationship and take a special interest in daily life at school